Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"It Didn't Help"

Dr Leong said as we sat down in her room. It was a long wait today before we got to see her. She showed us the CT scan images on her PC and said that the tumour didn't shrink but looked "stable". I guess at this moment Jo and I were both about to ask her "what's next" when she whipped out a notepad and pen to list down all the previous "cocktails" Jo's had since Feb 2004...quite a few (6-7 different chemo drugs) I must say. Dr Leong showed us 2 chemo options available:

Chemo 1 is simple and basic, having minimal side effects and short treatment time weekly, lasting approx. 30 mins.

Chemo 2 is complex and would last 6-8 hours weekly. Severe side effects possibly affecting the bladder among other organs.

While we were mulling over the 2 options, Dr Leong managed to contact via phone a fellow onco at the NUH (she had left several messages for him since she saw Jo's results). She then informed us of another treatment (trial) option which was being offered there. This treatment could either be administered by tablet or injection. We don't have much information as yet till we meet with the onco on Monday @ 10am.

So there you go, we survived the news. I think Jo was pretty calm overall, much more than I was. She said that she wasn't really that anxious. God's peace I reckon.

Even though we were disappointed that the tumour hasn't shrunk, we want to give thanks...

1. that the tumour hasn't really grown and
2. that we have this other treatment option available...
3. more importantly, as Jo gets a few more days of chemo-free rest,
4. for all your support and prayer cover

There's always something to be thankful for even when the situation doesn't seem to warrant it.
God Bless.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha ka ko!...well I am not a religious person but nonetheless,I'll say a simple prayer to support my friends :D

Keep da faith! (even George Michael says 'you gotta have faith) ;)

Alex said...

Mahalo my dear Hawaiian buddy. You take care of yourself there too! Always praying for you too.
Aloha.

Tulip said...

Jo & Alex,

Thanks for the update. We will continue to pray. God is faithful and He knows the best for His children who love Him.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, truly thank you. God bless you and keep you through your journey of faith.

Anonymous said...

alex and jo,
good that you are staying the course and keeping faithful unto Him. He will provide as you are His children. My prayers will continue. Do let us know how Monday goes. In the meantime, enjoy these few chemo-free days ;)sharolyn

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, you don't know me. I'm Sharolyn's friend but she's been updating me and asking for prayers on your behalf over the last few years.

I have and will continue to.

It's personally empowering to hear about your faithfulness and I thank you for that.

I will continue to pray. In the meantime, be still and know that He is indeed God.

May God's presence be with you every single moment.

In Christ,

DD

Alex said...

Thanks Jen, Sharolyn & DD (and many more)..you know at the end of the day, Jo and I are the most blessed couple because God has provided for so much prayer support through you and your various networks of friends. I implore you to not only intercede for us but also for the many that are suffering in one way or another.

Anonymous said...

Cling onto Romans 8:28.