Monday, October 23, 2006

Upper East Coast Road


Well, Jo's feeling better from the Saturday ordeal although still far from being 100% well. The pain is still at her liver area and she needs to walk slowly and not make any sudden moves. The pain killers been helping and we pray she'll gradually wean off it in the next few days.

I've had to effectively cancel my activities since Saturday morning till today and perhaps beyond... Really no issue with me, been there done that. Anything that concerns Jo, I'll drop and ensure that she's attended to before anything else.

This afternoon, she felt better enough to leave the house in search of a new joint called Zuko! www.zuko.com.sg Don't ask me where she gets these cravings or ideas from, all I know is that when she says "I want to try out this new place..." I just get READY! So armed with her foodie guide books (IS Food Guide 2006 and one other I can't recall or find it now) we set off for 17 Upper East Coast Road.

In all honesty Jo should be writing this section, as I don't do justice as an online food / restaurant critique...but she's asleep. Oh well, I promise to do my best. Anyway, if you don't like my write up, check out the one by STOMP http://www.stomp.com.sg/stfoodiesclub/diningout/18/index.htm

Zuko is situated along Upper East Coast road. If you know where Siglap Shopping Centre is -you're doing fine. Along that road, you'll drive by a whole bunch of eateries. They're located just beside a little road named Jalan Tua Kong and directly opposite the public car park.

So it was 1:35pm when we stepped in. All quiet except for us. Greeted by the waiter and presumed restaurant owner? (Jo said so...) We took sometime to decide our menu and so it went like this:
1. Bruschetta
2. Zuko! Pork Ribs
3. Crabmeat Linguine with White Wine sauce (pictured above)

The Bruschetta was pretty good with finely chopped tomatoes on a crispy yet soft bread (yeah, I don't even know the name of the bread...what a great food critique) layered with olive oil. The Pork Ribs were ok. Jo felt that the texture was somewhat tough and initial serving of sauce was insufficient. But the staff were very obliging and brought more for us.

Now my fav! The Crabmeat Linguine (your choice of pasta, but Linguine does it best for seafood, trust me) was beyond words man. I was initially apprehensive of the white wine as base for sauce, but man was I wrong. It had such an aroma and gave it that zest. The linguine was done excellently, just the right texture - bouncy yet not tough. Crabmeat was abundant and nicely integrated with the dish with lotsa tomatoes...ahhh mama mia!

Ok enough I'm salivating. 2 thumbs up!

No comments: