Thursday, April 05, 2007

Maundy Thursday Chemo




Well we had to miss our Maundy Thursday service @ 8pm since Jo wasn't in the best of health and importantly she had her first Chemo session @ NCC today slated for 2pm.

I rushed back from a lunch appointment with a client and got off to NCC. She was walking slightly better today after yesterday's Bee episode. The cream must have worked.

At NCC

We arrived at NCC and had to wait nearly 3 hours before her number was called. This place is called the Ambulatory Treatment Unit or ATU (3rd floor) is always jam packed with patients the eve of any holiday. Today was none the different. We could have had ours done yesterday however Jo specifically requested for Julia who had been attending to her chemo treatments off and on since 2004. Julia's an extremely nice lady (as with all of the staff at the ATU) and we share and chat quite a fair bit before and during each treatment if time permits. The nurses here are so overworked and shorthanded (high staff turnover) that more should seriously be done here.

Julia

As in most cases, Julia pricked Joanne quite effortlessly with almost no pain involved. You could see her with her smiles in the top pix. It was really great to see her smile these days since it's been extremely difficult for her.

The Treatment
Today's treatment of Avastin took some 1hr 45mins for 300ml to drip through. A new machine has been installed that indicates the amount of medication left. Near the end of the treatment, Jo complained of chest tightness and we had to call the attending Doc in to review her. They also gave her an ECG to ensure all was ok with her heart. Doc listened to her lungs and all was fine. The nurses gave her oxygen to breathe in to alleviate this. About 15 mins later she was better and we left NCC.

Heavily Burdened
I feel heavily burdened with Prayer each time I step into NCC let alone the ATU floor. There are just so many people with cancer. My heart just goes out to the man in the wheelchair vomiting constantly, the mother with 2 kids tagging along...the list goes on. What hit me most today were 2 young patients. As I was entering the lift, I saw a mother pushing her 5 or 6 year old with nosedrip out of the lift. It was simply heart wrenching. The kid was scrawny for his age and bald...obviously from the chemo treatments. Another scene was that of a 10 yr old in the treatment cublicle opposite Jo. He was bald and had his mom and dad with him. It was painful to hear him scream when the nurses pricked him for the chemo infusion. I prayed there and then for them...that God would show mercy upon both the kids and their family.

All in all we started from 5:15pm and ended about 7pm. Typically as pictured, I would read her passages from "Streams in the Desert" by L.B. Cowman. Excellent daily devotional readings for the "weary desert traveller"

4 comments:

R said...

Be encouraged! Jesus is our hope of eternity where all things will be made good again. And those who are in Christ have already started on that journey despite the pains of this world. Many friends are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

I can't recall since when I've been asking God to prove His existence to me, to show me a sign, to make me believe in Him. I suddenly realize that maybe He has already manifested Himself... through Jo. She, with the ever loving support of Alex, has fought on and endured much pain but they're always soldiering on, ever so positive, always guided by their faith. My little sis has suffered so much while my sins are forgiven... if this is His way of proving me wrong, then I plead for Him to stop! He doesn't have to prove anything to me anymore. I will ask for forgiveness through finding my way to know God, slow as it might be...

You're one tough cookie, Jo! We're all rallying for you!

Tulip said...

Yes jk, God is ever faithful and true, He has never tempted us beyond what we can bear, God has already manifested himself through Jo's life. He is all powerful and all almighty.

Do not wait any longer to come before the throne of God and acknowledge Him as your God and your Heavenly Father.

Dear sis, let rally together for Jo in prayer.

Anonymous said...

jo we are concern you jia you !!!
ah yee