Saturday, April 14, 2007

Updates - 14 April 2007

We had a slight mixed up in terms of Jo's treatment regime. Currently:
a. Oral Chemo (daily)
b. Avastin VEGF treatment (infusion) - once every 3 weeks.
Next treatment, 60 mins on April 25 or 26th.

1. In general, she's been sleeping alot. Averaging 14 hours per day. Its a combination of the medicine making her tired (chemo drugs) and sleepy (morphine) together with her already weakened body.

2. Now she has occasional cough with phlegm deep within. As mentioned, she's had water retention detected in her lungs 2 weeks back. She's taking medication for this too.

3. Her medications:
a. Maxalon before meals - to aid digestion
b. Morphine - for pain management
c. Chemo drugs - 2 varieties
d. Magnesium Carbonate - to relieve gas buildup
e. Flumucil - to relieve water retention
f. Kytril - for nausea (when necessary)
g. Arcoxia - for fever

4. How she feels:
a. Bodily aches everywhere
b. Pain when coughing
c. Mouth dryness
d. Rib pains
e. Bloatedness
f. Indigestion
g. Lack of appetite
h. Tiredness
i. Weak, not able to climb stairs or stay out for too long

Out of the House
It's good that she managed to get out of the house for the 1st time in 7 days to attend our Elim Small Group last night. It was an enriching time that we had as always. We did Bible Study on Psalms 40 and ended off praying for each other and for Joanne specifically.

2 comments:

Jas aka paced said...

Hi Jo, I chanced upon your blog and my prayers go out to you and everyone around you who are giving you their support to win this battle.
It is not an easy battle and I know it because I'm also a NPC patient. I know it's tiring, mentally and physically draining and all kinds of side effects just keep irritating you.
I was also initially diagonsed with Stage 2 and needed only radiotherapy. Halfway thru the 35 sessions of radio, it spreaded to my liver and bones, and I was having persistent fevers and abdominal pains, but I didn't know. 2 months after completing radio, I started chemo. While I was having my first chemo, drowsy and sleepy due to the drugs, my oncologist called my parents into her room and told them to be prepared for the worst because I only had 2-6 months left. Now she has said NED, but I'm now fighting not to have a relapse.
Jo, be strong, fight on. You'll definately win this battle and win it not just for yourself but for your friends and family too. I believe God will help and assist and rid the cancer cells in you. He gave me another chance to live and I know He has given it to you too!
God Bless!

Alex said...

Dear Paced, thank you for your encouragement and I will continue to uphold you and all cancer patients in my daily prayers too. Amen that you are now in remission. Do continue to monitor this closely as we were unfortunately given the "greenlight" back in mid-2003 that she was clear. Then in Jan 2004 the tumour resurfaced again. Just ensure you go for your regular scans / checks. Wow, you have gone thru much even at your young age. Our God is a faithful and loving one - remember this always. He will never leave nor forsake us. God Bless my friend.