Friday, June 15, 2007

Finally...We're Goin Home...

I think we're going home, I pray we should be home the same time tomorrow when I blog.

The cope loop tube was leaking at the point of entry at the abdomen for the last 3 days and doc had suggested to make an additional stitch to tighten up the hole. They did this this morning and seems like it's fine so far, no leakage.

I was tasked to learn the dressing of the cope loop. This had to be done at least twice a week to ensure it was sterile to prevent any possible infection. The handwashing part of the preparation was enough to drive me nuts. There was a 7 step handwashing procedure which had to be followed religiously...and coming from a human bug like me...you can be certain it was just so so hard for me to follow. But I did!

Then you've got all this dressing and swaps and sticky stuff which you got to be so delicate with...a real challenge for me. The last time I did first aid was in the army and I nearly put my Sergeant in a state of shock.

Jo seemed better today. MIL came at 8.45am to relieve me and I went home to complete some work and run errands for Jo. She had mentioned that she'd like to try the Ensure Smoothie, so I went off to buy Ensure Banana and Vanilla flavour from NUH and Del Monte bananas from the Isetan supermart. On reaching home I threw a couple of bananas in with 1 pack of Ensure (Banana flavour) along with several ice cubes into the blender. Wah la! Banana Smoothie, Ensure style in no time!

I poured the mixture into a Thermos flask and served it to her and she loved it! I was really overjoyed that she could take this in. For starters, this concoction had at least 250 kcal per packet not including the fresh bananas. It was real good stuff for her. Also, she'd been retching the last 3 days for no real rhyme or reason. It's so mental that at the slightest mentioning of some sort of food, she would go into this retching mode.

She had a little corn soup from MOS this evening and further sips of the Banana Smoothie.

We've booked an ambulance to bring her home tomorrow at noon. Hopefully we'll be able to check out earlier.

Tomorrow is day 11, a new record.

7Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. 9Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door! 10Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. James 5:7-11

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex and Jo,
hang in there! May the Lord bless you with daily miracles to see you through this journey of faith.

Alex, your love and care for Jo is nothing short of inspiring. You are truly fulfilling your promise to her when you wed.

May your love continue to inspire others to remember their wedding vows and to walk their talk "when the rubber hits the road".

Jas aka paced said...

Home Sweet Home soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Yaaaay!! :) bananas rock!