Sunday, June 17, 2007

V&P

We first met P, a malay mother of four 3 weeks back when Jo was admitted into Ward 48. She was in the bed directly opposite Jo's. It was her first time doing chemo. She had lymphoma. As with all first timers, their entire families were present.

Just last Monday she was warded back into the same room as us.
She had come down with fever from her chemo treatment.
Her hair was dropping a fair bit too.

She kept asking what was with Jo and didn't understand when I said that she was off chemo indefinitely. Not that she had recovered, but simply because she could no longer handle it. Anyway, I kept a cool and cheerful face each time I spoke with her...to the extend I felt like a doctor, not wanting to give away the slightest hint of bad news. Tough.

She was always cheerful. This time, as the fatigue of chemo treatment weakened her...she was resting quite often. Her children were all grown up.

V
The day of our discharge was the first time I spoke with V.
She looked young. Youthful in fact.
I asked God why there were so many young people stricken with cancer recently.
I just can't understand it.

I had a good long chat with her that morning.
She'd just been diagnosed with lymphoma like P and was warded to begin chemo treatment.

So just when you think Jo and my life is tough,
V's just blew me away.
She's got a 10 month old and a wonderful family.

I can only find pure joy in the fact that she and her husband are believers.
Amen to that.

V if you're reading this, I know how very difficult it is for you and your family.
You need to remain ever strong and faithful.
Our God is always with us, that you must never forget.
He will see you through this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex & Jo,
I stumbled across your site while searching for the words to "Still" to send to some friends with a baby in ICU in Arkansas Children's Hospital. Their souls are needing to "find rest...in Christ alone." And what an encouragement I found for myself! What an amazing example your site is of the strength that comes from Christ alone. Please know that a sister in Christ from Austin, TX will be lifting you guys up daily in prayer. I don't know what your journey up that mountain is going to look like, but I know who is at the top of the mountain, who owns the mountain, and who loves you both more any of us will ever realize this side of Heaven. What a joy to look forward to meeting you both one day there and rejoicing together for eternity! I've bookmarked your site and will continue to pray on your journey. Be strong and courageous and know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of a Texan!!

Annette

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that u are back home again.

Hope that u may soon be well.

May all our prayers be with u & Alex always.

Cousin Fun

Anonymous said...

Jo & Alex,
Both of you are simply awesome, what an extraordinary strength and faith. Continue to look to Him for He is your mighty fortress and strong tower.

your cousin in kl, joyce